There is no meeting for Monday Aug 1st!
Happy Pride Week Everyone!
Gen Out Meeting time: Monday 6PM-8PM Please feel free to call me (604-708-2632) to leave a Voice-mail and I would be more than happy to contact you and give you more information (details and location)!
Tuesday, July 26, 2016
Previously, transgender individuals were protected under the code’s protected grounds of “sex”, as interpreted by the BC Human Rights Tribunal and the courts.
NDP MLA Spencer Chandra-Herbert introduced the bill five times before it finally passed.
“Fifth time’s a charm. I never thought I’d say that, but darn it feels good to finally get something I’ve been fighting for a long time approved in law. And even better that transgender people will now be able to see them themselves in our human rights code.”While Chandra-Herbert says he’s disappointed it took so long to make the changes, the world has changed and legislators recognized it.
“The time was right to act for human rights and I couldn’t be happier. I wish it happened the first time I moved the legislation five years ago, but sometimes it takes people time to realize they’ve got to get on board in terms of supporting peoples’ human rights.”He says now B.C. is aligning its code with other legislation across Canada.
Wednesday, July 20, 2016
Monday, July 18, 2016
Friday, July 15, 2016
Some exciting opportunities to get involved this summer in pride:
- Decorating the PLEA PRIDE truck - Friday July 29th from 10:00am – 3:00pm
- Come out for a fun day of decorating and supporting PLEA to show off it's PRIDE!
- Please contact Dave (604-417-3626) or email@example.com to let him know you want to help out!
- Thursday July 28th
- Rainbow Crosswalk Dedication on 224th St. at 1pm (City of Maple Ridge)
- Noon-3pm at Memorial Peace Park (Maple Ridge)
- PLEA Community Services Society of BC, in collaboration with the City of Maple Ridge, are hosting a community BBQ on Thursday July 28th Noon-3pm at Memorial Peace Park. Everyone is welcome to join us in celebration, and show their support for pride, LGTBQ, and diversity.
o Candlelight Vigil 8-9pm at the bandstand (The Vancouver Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence).
- Sunday July 31st -All Marchers must arrive by 11:45am
- Annual Vancouver PRIDE March - supporting PLEA to show off it's PRIDE!
- Please contact Dave (604-417-3626) or firstname.lastname@example.org to let him know you want to march with PLEA! You need to be given permission to march as there is limited space for the number of marchers!
- Queer Film Festival FRI | AUG 19 | 630pm at the SFU’s Goldcorp Centre for the Arts
o Youth Gala: Real Boy Real Boy is the coming-of-age story of Bennett Wallace, a transgender teenager in California on a journey to find his voice— as a musician, a friend, a son, and a man. As he navigates the ups and downs of young adulthood, he must also work to gain the love and support of his mother, who has deep misgivings about her child’s transition. Along the way, Bennett forges a powerful friendship with his idol, Joe Stevens, a celebrated transgender musician with his own demons to fight. Their relationship is a poignant reminder of the positive influences of friendship and mentorship. Real Boy shows us that every transformative journey brings both difficult and magical moments—the stuff of a great folk song.
- Please contact Dave (604-417-3626) or email@example.com to let him know you want to attend this movie! You need to be given permission to attend as there is limited space for free tickets. We will travel as a group to Vancouver together from the Coquitlam bus loop. More information on travel will be provided closer to the date.